Adoption- From a Child's Perspective

Democratic Republic of Congo Questions
Why? Why? Why? Why?


I have started to care for a child in our home. The almost three year old asks many questions. Which, most parents know of, are living in, or remember that phase. These questions really surprised me!!!! Especially the answers that came out of my own mouth. Maybe I will be ready after all of these to answer questions once our son is home and people come up asking us so many questions. The main thing I am not looking forward to is complete strangers asking these and I may not know what to say and not say.

These are some of the questions asked by the almost 3 year old (in order) and my answers:

Q: "Who is that?" (Pointing to the picture of our son on the fridge.)
A: "That's Liberty's big brother."
(I loved that at this point Libby started to yell "bubba" and reach for the photo. Which, of course she had to hold and show her friend.)

Q: "What is his name?"
A: I said his name.

Q: "Who named him?"
A: "His birth mother."

Q: "Where is his mommy?" (This question was asked several times with the same exact answer.)
A: "I am his mommy."

Q: "Why?"
A: I did not answer this to my day care child. The main reason being I do not know the families beliefs, and I did not want to push religion on someone else's child. Plus, I think this concept would be way over the head of a 2 year old. This is what I would have said if it was an adult.
"I believe that all of our children joined our family, because God intended them to be our daughters and our son."
Sadly my silence ended the conversation for a while. I was enjoying the outsiders perspective of his adoption.

Later in the day, the questions continued as we ate lunch and talked about how we were going to go to the park after nap time. This is my favorite conversation I have had about adoption by far!!

Q: "Are you going to take him to the park?"
(At first I had no idea what this question meant, as it is sometimes hard to understand young children, and the question was repeated many times before I got what was being asked.)
A: "Yes, I would love to take him to the park."

Q: "Why?"
A: "Why do you think?" (My all time favorite phrase to use to respond to "why"!)
The answer was shocking, "Because it's fun!"
Then I responded, "yes it is fun!!"

I love how innocent and easy these questions were asked and answered. I pray for his safe and speedy arrival, so he can go to the park with us!! :-)

The bible passage Matthew 18:3 came into my mind! 
"And he said: 'Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven'." 

I wish all conversations with adults went as smoothly as the conversation with my day care child!!!

Photo Credit: FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment