Crying Back Into Cooking

Alright, so I have failed over the last couple months at my new years resolution which is sad, but I'm actually crying because of all the onions I've had to cut for my freezer meals for the week. Summer has been pretty busy, but this week I'm going to get back to cooking (and hopefully once school starts catch up on scrap booking). I am pretty excited to try these freezer meals this week!

Pasta Sauce
Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
  • 2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes (Oops I used only 2 14.5 oz cans.)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 2 Tbs garlic chopped (I used garlic powder.)
  • 1 Tbs oregano
  • 1 Tbs basil
  • 1 Tbs thyme
  • 1/2 Tbs herbs de provence (I've never heard of this and couldn't find it, so I skipped it.)
  • 1 cup white wine (I used chicken broth.)
    • Place all ingredients in freezer bag, lay flat, and freeze. When ready to cook, put all ingredients in a crockpot on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. Serve over cooked spaghetti. (I cooked on high for 4 hours.)
    • I would say this sauce is boring with hardly no flavor at all. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone to try... if you do maybe double the seasonings?

Things I've Learned
  • I cut one onion and felt like I was dying! Then I looked at the other recipes and realized almost everyone calls for an onion. I used this article online to figure out a better way to cut onions. I tried to freeze the onions for 15 minutes (which turned into an hour with toddlers needing breakfast, hair done, potty time, etc). Plus, I cut them under the oven fan on high. I have pretty sensitive eyes when it comes to onion cutting, so I would say it was for sure better than just cutting. My eyes never watered so much that I couldn't see, so I guess it was a success.
  • I would have to say do not lay flat to  freeze if you have the room in your freezer. I had to cut it in half in order to get it to kind of fit in the crockpot, but I have kind of a small crockpot.
  • I hate onions!!!! I don't think I will ever get rid of the smell. I am never cooking with onions again!

No comments:

Post a Comment