A Monster Truck of Ingredients

School starts back soon, so I decided to try one of the "harder" recipes today. It took about 15 minutes to prep, and 10 minutes to cook (1 dozen muffins). Even with doing a more ingredient recipe I was able to have the girls and I ready by 8am. Wahoo!

Great Grandma Gardner's Oat Muffins
Oat Muffin Recipe
  • 2 cups oat flour* (oatmeal)
  • 1/2 cup wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • Dash of salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 cup buttermilk** (1cup milk and 1 Tbsp. vinegar)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 Tbsp. oil
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    • Cream together buttermilk, egg, oil, honey, and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients in a desperate bowl. Mix together the creamed mixture, dry ingredients, and applesauce. Spoon into greased muffin tin and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. 
    • *To make oat flour, put oatmeal in blender and blend into a fine powder. 
    • **To make your own buttermilk add 1 Tbsp. vinegar to 1 cup of regular milk and stir. Let sit while you mix other ingredients. 

I changed 2 things in this recipe. I baked for 9 minutes instead of 10 and used muffin cups instead of baking directly on the pan.
I felt so cool and like a baker when making the oat flour
.
This is the most ingredients I have used in baking ever! 

My girls loved them!!!! Wahoo!


Jason and I loved them too. Within 10 minutes the first dozen of the muffins were almost gone. With one lone survivor.


Things I've Learned

  • As much as I always thought cooking would slow me down to a turtles pace and ruin my whole day. I realize now how untrue that is!
  • Lots of ingredients in a recipe doesn't necessarily make a recipe difficult. I found this recipe to be surprisingly easy, and it has a monster truck of ingredients!
  • Food that is homemade is more filling. With muffin mix we would typically eat all 2 1/2 dozen of them and still be hungry. I'm stuffed now with more than a dozen left over.

Hope someone out there tries this recipe. It is delicious and very easy to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment