Now That is More Like It

Today I was more awake when making the bread, but I had little helpers. Still the bread turned out AMAZING!!!!

Great Grandma Harris White Bread
Recipe

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1 cup dry powdered milk
  • 1 Tbs. salt
  • 1 quart very warm water
  • 3 Tbs. yeast
  • 11 1/2 cup sifted flour
    • Let rise till double - kneed - let rise till double. Shape - place in pans - let rise till double. Bake at 350 degrees to 375 degrees for 30 minutes. 

I halved this recipe, since I thought I was sure I didn't want to ruin 4 loaves of bread. 

Right after taking this photo sugar was thrown all over the counter and floor. Sigh.

Again launching food around the kitchen. Good times though!



It looked promising!

Victory, they smelled, looked, and tasted great!!!


Even this picky eater loved it. (Yes she looks like Harry Potter and lost the privilege to use a chair. Plus, Eddie kept thinking he was going to get lucky. Ba ha ha... no.)



Things I've Learned

  • Don't fantasize about how everything will go with little helping hands. I had in my mind everything going smoothly, taking turns working seamlessly, ingredients making it in the bowl, and just all in all a magazine photo shoot. Well in reality Madison wasn't able to wait patiently in between turns and most of the time when it was her turn whatever she was putting in flew out of the bowl in a crazy frantic flurry. I am glad I let them help, but I think I had too high of expectations for how it would go. 
  • Have flour (and a lot of it) ready for when you are kneading. Here I am covered in dough from fingers to elbows wondering how I was ever going to get out of this mess. It was sticking to me like some kind of evil glue while girls are running around being wild and crazy. At one put I wondered if my husband would ever arrive to rescue me. He did (my hero) and I was able to be more prepared the second time around with flour stacked and plentiful ready for my hands.
  • Don't stress! I will have plenty of opportunities to learn how to make bread and retry recipes! 
  • I need to invest in cooking or baking for dummies as I still am sometimes baffled by simple instructions like kneading.

I would consider today a win even though it may not seem like it from the way a gripe above. In the end it tasted great and the girls were able to learn a little about recipes, counting ingredients, and measuring. Plus, I was able to learn a thing or two. Now to get ready for tomorrow... Cinnamon Rolls. I may be biting off more than I can chew (pun intended). :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment