I Really Needed Coffee and Cake Seems to Work Too

Jason and I frequently fall asleep to documentaries. Sometimes however, like last night while watching To Be Takei, it was too interesting to fall asleep. I started following George Takei on Facebook, because well he is hilarious! The last couple of nights he has posted things that brought Jason and I to tears laughing. I knew he is an actor, of course, and that he has a husband, but I had no idea that he was in internment camp as a young boy. What a horrifying and disgraceful part of American history. That event is one of the many reasons I believe government should NEVER have too much control over anyone's life. He is just such an amazing man that is so optimistic and surprisingly happy despite the struggles he has had. Well, I didn't get to sleep until 12:30am and woke up at 5am, so I really needed coffee this morning. I figure I would try and make a coffee cake to go with my obscene amount of coffee intake.


Easy Platz (Coffee Cake)
Coffee Cake Recipe
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup margarine
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup blackberries
    • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 3/4 cup of crumb mixture, to be used as a topping for the cake. Mix eggs and milk together and then blend into remaining mixture in bowl. Spread batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle blackberries evenly over top. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over fruit. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. All done!
Okay I was reading comments on the recipe page and apparently I am not the only one that doesn't have a 9 inch square pan. Well everyone said to do a 9x13 pan for 35 minutes. Plus, I did not have any other fruit than apples.

Well I am normally organized and clean as I go...

... but when I am tired my brain bounces off into a million different directions resulting in a disastrous kitchen.


I could tell it was going to be great though, and I did have a half hour to clean up.



Jason and I loved our coffee cake and especially the coffee with it!


Ba ha ha ha! Libby kept asking if it was somebodies birthday! What other reason could we possibly be having cake for breakfast?!?!?


Things I've Learned
  • Coffee cake is delicious!
  • And I need to go to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment